Sunday, July 5, 2009

Real Polish Tacos, Pieogies, and Poland's Got Talent!

So whenever my Mom would make us cabbage rolls for dinner, we would jokingly call them Polish tacos. Well, my friends, I have experienced real Polish tacos. On Friday our Polish cooks decided they wanted to make tacos for us, and what we got was a crepe (or more like a German pancake) with ground beef? pork? and corn and beans inside, with sour cream on top and ketchup that had been turned into hot sauce by adding some spice. It was actually pretty good, if not much like a real taco. I put some tomatoes on mine. We get a plate of tomatoes with just about every meal here, and they have been AMAZING.

The strawberries have been awesome, too.



I also had my first non-cafeteria meal here. We decided on Friday to go out for pierogies. There's this place we saw advertised, and I got chicken and cheese ones with a mushroom sauce on top.



For our evening activity on Friday, we hosted our own version of "Poland's Got Talent!" in the gymnasium here.

Bob, one of my fellow teachers, acted as the host.

These are guys from my homeroom. The kid on the right did some fancy pen spinning and solved a Rubick's cube in 20 seconds. We also had some musical acts:

She sang that "Mad World" song from Donnie Darko and I thought her voice kind of sounded like Bjork.

These girls sang a really nice song in Polish.

And these girls sang a song in English but it wasn't one that I knew. We also had some dancing:

These girls did a really cool intense hip-hop dance.


And this girl did something that was a little bit more like ballet/interpretive dance.

We also had this girl named Claudia who did that thing where it looks like you're pulling invisible strings on your face, but she was really really good at it.

And then finally, these guys did a comedy sketch that is really famous in Poland. The guy in the tie translated it into English, but I still didn't quite get it. It was something about a guy buying a washing machine? My students all assured me that the original bit is very funny, but it probably just doesn't translate well.

Another cool thing that's been going on in town here is that they've been playing movies outside on a big screen over by the castle. I saw "Vicky Christina Barcelona." They had it in English with Polish subtitles and the only bad thing was that when Penelope Cruze's character spoke Spanish the Polish kids got subtitles but we couldn't understand it at all.

Well that's all for now! I still haven't gotten to my pictures from this weekend. We had a 4th of July picnic, went to see a castle, and got to see a house that Chopin lived in. Stay tuned for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment