Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Scavenger/Ice Cream Hunt

Not a huge update here -- last night for dinner we had chicken salad made with rice and raisins, along with some cheese and bread. Probably the least Polish meal so far, but it was really good.

After dinner, we had a scavenger hunt that the whole camp participated in. Not only did campers have to find items around the camp, they also had to answer questions about American holidays, celebrities, and idioms. Here's the groups trying to answer the questions:

And here's my group, the Red Rhinos. We tied for 3rd place.

Each teacher had to judge the answers of another group. You can see Traci is looking over my group's answers. One of the items each group had to find was a picture of a camper's mother. My group was really creative and took a picture of Traci because her daughter is one of the American high school students at the camp, but she said that it didn't count because her daughter wasn't one of the Polish campers. I think they should have gotten points just for creativity! In the group I was judging, I took a point off because they said that the American flag had 48 stars on it. After that a kid from the group ran up to me all upset and was like "Look at this patch from a WWII bomber jacket that I have! There's only 48 stars!" and I had to explain to him that in World War II Alaska and Hawaii weren't states yet. He seemed not too happy about that.

After the scavenger hunt was over, me and some of the other teachers walked into town to try to find some gelato. I had noticed a couple places selling it before, but most of them were closed by then. While we were looking around, I saw this little statue:


It's cute, but I can't read Polish so I wasn't sure what the significance of it is. Tomorrow afternoon the whole camp is going on a tour of Torun so I'll ask one of the Polish students to explain it to me.

Finally we found a little place selling gelato for only 2 zlotys! (That's about 60 cents!) I had an Irish Cream flavored one and it was delicious.



1 comment:

  1. I love love love gelato. MMMM, have a dozen or so from me.

    We had the graduation parties, and we missed you. It's cold here, BRRRR.

    Love the blog and the food pictures. So interesting. Glad you like the teaching. Dealing with lots of skill levels is a constant. We call it differentiation. We have to differentiate our lessons. Some easier, some challenging. I am sure your teachers had difficulty differentiating your lessons because you are so darn smart!! :)

    ReplyDelete